Christmas Eve is seven months from today. The purpose of this countdown is to help you space out your holiday preparations so that you can enjoy the season rather than wallowing in stress.
If you follow the Christmas Countdown, you’ll spend Christmas Eve relaxed and happy, celebrating with those you love.
Now, you may think that May is way too early to think about Christmas, but there are some things you can do now that will make your holiday season far more pleasurable.
• Keep your Christmas card list up to date. (If you don’t have a Christmas card list, now is an excellent time to make one.) Summer is a big time for moves and marriages, so it’s helpful to keep the addresses current.
• If you plan to make gifts, start now. You can do a little at a time and still finish in plenty of time. a surprising number of crafts are very amenable to a rainy day at the beach.
• If you are vacationing (or traveling for business) this summer, be on the lookout for charming and unusual gifts for those you love. That’s one of the things I like best about doing my shopping throughout the year. It encourages me to think about my loved ones and what would make them happy.
• Have a conversation with family about where you will celebrate the holidays. As soon as that is decided, request leave and make any travel arrangements needed. The earlier you book a plane flight, the better price you’ll get and the more choices you’ll have.
• If you haven’t done it yet, make a budget for the holidays and start saving. You should never go into debt to celebrate the holidays. Having a budget and saving throughout the year will allow you to keep control of your spending while prioritizing the things that mean the most to you.